Expression of Interest Guidelines
Guidelines for local artists submitting an expression of Interest
The aim of the opportunity is to provide local artists with a high visibility venue for selling work and the promotion of their careers, arts practice and endeavours within the local community and beyond.
Applicants must be a resident of Bega Valley Shire. In the case of groups at least half the applicants must satisfy the residential requirement.
All works must be for sale and a 20% commission will be charged by the BVRG on all sales while the exhibition is installed. There are no other fees for participation in the Motel Art Fair event.
Participating artists are encouraged to liaise with their commercial representation about their obligations regarding commission on sales. BVRG commission is set at below industry levels to allow artists to pass on a percentage of their sales to their commercial partners.
All proposals submitted will be considered by BVRG staff according to the timelines set out in the table below. The number of exhibition slots available is limited to 18 stalls/rooms at the Norfolk Pine Motel, Merimbula.
The Gallery reserves the right to make changes and/or amend the Motel Art Fair terms and conditions as needed.
Conditions of participation
Applicants should carefully consider their ability to deliver a body of finished work ready for sale and their availability to participate in the organisation of the fair scheduled within the dates for the Motel Art Fair event weekend. Proposals for the Motel Art Fair 2020 must be submitted for consideration by the Closing Dates published below. Late proposals will not be considered.
The Gallery will accept Expressions of Interest online until Fri 29 May 2020.
Successful applicants will be advised by email by Mon 8 Jun 2020.
Motel Art Fair is scheduled from Fri 21 August, Sat 22 August, to Sun 23 August 2020.
How to apply
The Art Fair Committee will consider all applications received by the due date. Applicants will be advised by email as to the outcome of their proposal. The decision of the Exhibitions Committee is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
Expressions of interest must include the following material:
• A completed online application form including: Applicant contact details and an outline or rationale of the proposed exhibition within the Motel space if successful.
• Between 4 – 8 high resolution images of recent work by each artist (digital images are preferred). Images must be clearly identified with the artist’s name, medium, and dimensions in centimetres (height x width x depth).
• A current Artist CV or Resume.
Motel Art Fair specifications
All large furnishings contained in rooms must remain within the space. Smaller room furnishings may be adjusted in discussion with Gallery Staff.
No drilling or alterations to walls or permanent fixtures are permitted.
Art Fair sales will operate from a centralized till coordinated by Gallery Staff. Artworks will be available as cash and carry over the three public days. Exhibiting Artists should consider restocking options for the weekend.
- Successful applicants will be required to complete relevant sections and sign an Exhibition Agreement before their participation is confirmed. Failure to meet the obligations and timelines outlined in the Exhibition Agreement may result in your sale room being forfeited.
- Successful applicants will be responsible for undertaking significant tasks in the exhibition planning and set up stages of the exhibition, as detailed in a timeline provided by Gallery staff. This will include: delivery and collection of artwork, participation in the installation and demount of the exhibition under the supervision of Gallery staff; and the provision of clear and concise pricing information and high quality digital images to Gallery staff (who will prepare and produce marketing material, room sheets and wall labels).
- Artworks for exhibition must be delivered finished and ready for display. In certain circumstances the Gallery may agree to the use of its stock frames to exhibit suitably mounted two-dimensional works. The Gallery will provide stock plinths as available to display three-dimensional work. The BVRG will work with South East Arts in lead up to the event to assist participants with their marketing plans.
- Exhibits must not damage the Motel space in any way or cause danger to the public. No room alterations are allowed without prior permission and staff supervision. For advice and suggestions on installation in the exhibition space participants may refer to Gallery staff.
- Please note that the BVRG reserves the right to have works documented for media purposes or for their own photographic records.
- Transport arrangements to and from the Art Fair are the responsibility of the artists.
- Artists are required to be present or are responsible for staffing/installing their own display room for the duration of the Motel Art Fair public days.
- Please note that the Gallery uses PC systems (not Macintosh).